I Finally Got My Driver’s License at 62, Right After My Husband’s Funeral

Forddaily

Well-known member
Staff member
administrator
Registered
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:07
Joined
Aug 15, 2019
Reaction score
422
Location
US
Feedback score
0
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Ford F250 Mustang
I Finally Got My Driver’s License at 62, Right After My Husband’s Funeral.png


I Finally Got My Driver’s License at 62, Right After My Husband’s Funeral – But When I Checked the Saved ‘Home’ Address on His GPS, My Heart Completely Stopped


At 62, just weeks after burying my controlling husband, I finally did the one thing he had forbidden me from doing for nearly 40 years: I learned how to drive.

I thought getting my driver’s license would simply give me a little independence.

I had no idea it would lead me straight to a secret my husband had carried for decades.

The secret was hidden inside his beloved pickup truck, buried in the GPS under an address he had saved as “Home.”

And when I followed that address, it led me to the last woman on earth I ever expected to see.

My mother-in-law.

The house felt enormous after Richard died.

Two months had passed since his funeral, yet I still found myself reaching for his coffee mug every morning before remembering that he was gone.

But the hardest part of losing Richard wasn’t the grief.

It was realizing just how much of my life I had been unable to manage without him.

I couldn’t buy groceries unless someone drove me.

I couldn’t visit Richard’s grave.

I couldn’t even get myself to the pharmacy to pick up my blood pressure medication.

For forty years, those things had been Richard’s responsibility.

He always told me my reflexes were too slow.

He said driving wasn’t a woman’s business.

He had repeated those things so often that eventually, I stopped questioning them.

So after his death, my adult daughter became my chauffeur.

She was patient with me, but I could tell she was exhausted from constantly rearranging her life around my errands.

One afternoon, as she pulled out of the pharmacy parking lot, she sighed.

“Mom, you can’t keep depending on me for every little errand.”

“I know, sweetheart,” I said quietly. “Your father always handled it.”

She drummed her fingers against the steering wheel.

“I don’t get it,” she said. “Grandma Eleanor has always been independent. Why would Dad not encourage you to be the same?”

The moment I heard my mother-in-law’s name, my body tensed.

“Eleanor has always been strange,” I replied.

My daughter frowned.

“That doesn’t sound like Grandma.”

“Maybe not to you,” I said, staring through the passenger window. “But Eleanor never liked me. She thought I wasn’t good enough.”

My daughter was quiet for a moment.

“Huh. But maybe now is a good time to mend those bridges.”

I shook my head.

“You were a child,” she said. “You didn’t hear the things she said.”

I folded my hands tightly in my lap.

“Richard spent decades keeping the peace between us. I won’t undo his work now that he’s gone.”

My daughter didn’t argue, but I could feel her disapproval filling the car.

“It’s just sad, that’s all,” she murmured. “Family shouldn’t be this broken.”

“Some things can’t be fixed,” I said. “Please. Just take me home.”

The rest of the drive passed in silence.

That night, I sat alone at the kitchen table and stared at the calendar Richard used to keep track of our appointments.

Every entry was written in his handwriting.

Every plan had been his.

Every destination had been his decision.

And for the first time, I understood something that frightened me.

I had spent 40 years allowing another person to decide where I went, what I did, and what I was capable of doing.
321321321.png
 
Top