But When I Checked the Saved ‘Home’ Address on His GPS, My Heart Completely Stopped

Forddaily

Well-known member
Staff member
administrator
Registered
Local time
Today, 23:43
Joined
Aug 15, 2019
Reaction score
422
Location
US
Feedback score
0
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Ford F250 Mustang
I had never once made a decision that carried me somewhere completely on my own.

“Enough,” I whispered into the empty kitchen.

I looked around the house.

“I am sixty-two years old, and I have never even driven a car.”

The thought terrified me.

But beneath the fear, something else began to grow.

Determination.

The next morning, I put on my walking shoes and left the house.

The local driving school was two miles away.

I walked every step of the way.

With every block, my heart seemed to lift a little higher.

When I reached the driving school, I walked inside and approached the young man behind the counter.

“I’d like to learn to drive,” I said.

He looked up and smiled.

“Of course, ma’am. Have you driven before?”

“Never,” I admitted. “My husband always said I couldn’t.”

His smile never disappeared.

“Well,” he said kindly, “let’s find out if he was right.”

For the next several weeks, I practiced in secret.

I told no one.

Not my daughter.

Not my son.

No one.

The first few lessons were humiliating.

I stalled the car.

I turned too sharply.

I gripped the steering wheel until my knuckles ached.

There were moments when I wondered whether Richard had been right all along.

But slowly, something changed.

I stopped being afraid.

One afternoon, after I made a clean turn and pulled perfectly into a parking space, my instructor nodded approvingly.

“You’ve got a natural feel for this,” he said. “Honestly, you’re better than half my teenage students.”

I laughed.

“My husband would be shocked to hear that.”

“Sometimes people are wrong about us,” he replied. “Even the people who love us.”

At the time, I didn’t realize how important those words would become.

Yesterday, at 62 years old, I passed my road test on the first try.

When the examiner shook my hand and told me I had passed, I cried right there in the parking lot.

For the first time in four decades, I was legally free to go wherever I wanted.

No one had to drive me.

No one had to approve.

No one could tell me I wasn’t capable.

I imagined all the places I would visit.

I imagined going to the grocery store alone.

I imagined driving to the pharmacy.

Most of all, I imagined finally being able to take flowers to Richard’s grave myself.

But there was one thing I wanted to do before anything else.

I wanted to drive Richard’s beloved pickup truck.

It had been sitting untouched in our garage since his death.

Richard had loved that truck.

Every Sunday, he polished it as though it were another member of the family.

“Nobody drives this but me,” he used to say, dangling the keys just out of my reach.

Now those keys hung on the hook by the door.

And they were mine.

I climbed into the driver’s seat and closed the door.

The familiar smell of leather and old coffee surrounded me.

I put my hands on the steering wheel.

Then I started the engine.

The truck rumbled beneath me.

For the first time in my life, I felt something I had almost forgotten existed.

Power.

“Look at me now, Richard,” I whispered to the empty cab.

I ran my fingers across the dashboard, curious about all the buttons I had never been allowed to touch.

Then I noticed the navigation screen.

I tapped it.

A small house icon appeared.

“Home.”

I smiled at first.

I assumed it would automatically bring up our address.

Instead, an unfamiliar street appeared.

It was in a town about twenty minutes away.

I stared at the screen.

“That isn’t our house,” I said aloud.

Maybe the GPS had made a mistake.

I pressed the button again.

The same address appeared.

My hands suddenly went cold.

Richard had saved another address as “Home.”

Not our home.

Another woman immediately crossed my mind.

Then another possibility.

Another family.

But none of it made sense.

Not with the man I thought I knew.

I stared at the address.

Curiosity can be strange.

Sometimes it burns hotter than grief.

“I have to know,” I whispered.

I shifted the truck into reverse.

Then I drove.

The calm robotic voice guided me through streets I didn’t recognize.

My heart pounded harder with every mile.

The town became unfamiliar.

Eventually, the streets narrowed into a quiet neighborhood filled with old brick houses.

Then the GPS spoke.

“You have arrived at your destination.”

I pulled to the curb.

I looked toward the house on my left.

And for several seconds, my brain refused to understand what my eyes were seeing.

Blue shutters.

Rose bushes lining the walkway.

A porch swing.

I knew that porch.

I knew those shutters.

I knew that house.

“No,” I whispered.

“It can’t be.”

It was Eleanor’s house.

My mother-in-law’s home.

The woman Richard had spent forty years teaching me to avoid.

The woman he claimed had never respected me.

The woman he said had never wanted me in the family.

The woman he insisted thought I wasn’t good enough.

We had stopped speaking almost forty years earlier, when my marriage to Richard was still new.

Whenever Richard took the children to visit her, I stayed home.

I sat frozen behind the steering wheel, replaying everything Richard had ever told me about Eleanor.

“She thinks you’re beneath us,” he used to say whenever I mentioned contacting her.

“She said terrible things about you. Trust me, you’re better off staying away.”

And I had believed him.

So why had Richard saved Eleanor’s address as “Home”?

Why had he been coming here?

Why had he hidden this from me?

“There has to be an explanation,” I whispered.

But deep down, I wasn’t sure I wanted to hear it.

My entire marriage suddenly felt like a room I had spent forty years living inside with the curtains drawn.

I stared at those blue shutters until my vision blurred.

Part of me wanted to start the truck and drive straight home.

I could pretend I had never touched the GPS.

I could pretend I had never seen the address.

That was the old version of me.

The woman who sat in the passenger seat.

The woman who allowed Richard to decide everything.

But I wasn’t that woman anymore.

I had not learned to drive just to sit frozen at another curb.

I needed answers.

Richard’s GPS had not led me to a mistress.

But it had led me to something else.

A betrayal.

A secret that had apparently been growing behind my back for decades.

I opened the door.

My hands trembled as I stepped onto the pavement.

I climbed the porch steps and pressed the doorbell before my courage could disappear.

A few seconds later, the door opened.

Eleanor stood there.

She looked older than I remembered.

Smaller, too.

Her eyes moved past me toward the truck.

Then she looked back at me.

“You drove here yourself?”

“I did,” I said, lifting my chin. “I finally learned. I got my license yesterday.”

I expected her to scoff.

I expected her to make some cruel remark that would prove Richard had been right about her all along.

Instead, something changed in her face.

Her expression collapsed into sadness.

“Then he never told you,” she whispered.

“Told me what?”

She stepped backward and opened the door wider.

“You’d better come inside.”

She paused.

“Sit down. This is going to take a while.”

I followed her into the house.

The living room smelled of lavender and old paper.

Eleanor poured us tea, but her hands shook so badly that I could hear the cup rattling against the saucer.

“Richard told me you hated me,” I said.

“For forty years, he told me you thought I was beneath him.”

Eleanor looked down at her tea.

“And he told me you never wanted anything to do with me.”

Her voice cracked.

“We were both lied to by the same man.”

I stared at her.

“Why would he do that?”

She set her cup down.

“Do you remember, forty years ago, when you used to paint?”

I blinked.

“Those little watercolors of the harbor?”

The question knocked the breath out of me.

I hadn’t thought about those paintings in decades.

“I gave them up,” I said slowly. “Right after we married. Richard said they were a childish hobby.”

“They weren’t childish.”

Eleanor leaned forward.

“A gallery owner I knew saw one of your paintings at a church fair. He wanted to represent you.”

My heart began to pound.

“He offered you a place in a group exhibition,” she continued. “And he offered you the chance to study under him.”

“That can’t be true.”

I shook my head.

“I never heard anything about that.”

“I know.”

Eleanor swallowed.

“Because I gave the letter to Richard to pass along.”

She looked down at her hands.

“The studio was two towns away. Richard said he couldn’t drive you there regularly. I even offered to teach you myself.”

The room seemed to tilt.

“He said you weren’t interested,” she continued. “He told me you laughed at the idea. He said you wanted to be a wife and nothing more.”

I stared at her.

“I never laughed.”

My voice was barely audible.

“I never even knew.”

Eleanor nodded sadly.

“And he told you what about me?”

I hesitated.

“That you thought I was too simple to amount to anything.”

My voice broke.

“That you thought I wasn’t good enough.”

Eleanor closed her eyes.

“I never said that.”

I stared at her.

She continued.

“That’s why he didn’t want you to drive. Because the moment you could go somewhere on your own, you might find the door I’d opened for you.”

She looked directly at me.

“So he made sure you depended on him for every mile of your life.”

I looked down at my hands.

The hands that had once held paintbrushes.

The hands that had once created something of their own.

Then, for decades, had held nothing more than grocery bags and passenger doors.

“Why are you telling me this now?” I asked. “Why didn’t you tell me years ago?”

“I tried,” Eleanor said. “God knows I tried.”

She wiped her eyes.

“But that’s why we never spoke. He kept us apart on purpose. He knew that if we ever sat down together and compared our stories, we would discover the truth.”

My eyes moved toward her.

“But he came here.”

I pointed toward the truck outside.

“The GPS in his truck has your address saved as ‘Home.’”

Eleanor gave me a sad, tired smile.

“Near the end, something in him softened.”

She looked toward the window.

“He started coming here.”

“How often?”

“Enough.”

She paused.

“He’d sit right where you’re sitting and stare at the wall for an hour.”

“What did he want?”

“To confess, I think.”

She swallowed hard.

“Maybe now that I’ve heard your side of things, I understand why.”

Then she looked down.

“And then his heart gave out.”

The room fell silent.

Forty years seemed to rearrange themselves inside my mind.

I suddenly saw my entire marriage differently.

Every decision.

Every missed opportunity.

Every time Richard had told me I wasn’t capable.

Every time he had told me someone else didn’t want me.

Every time I had believed him.

“Nobody will believe me,” I finally said.

“The children worshipped him. They’ll say I’m bitter. They’ll say I’m confused.”

Eleanor stood up.

She walked toward a small cabinet in the corner of the room.

After unlocking it, she removed a worn file box.

“I kept everything,” she said.

She carried the box back to the table.

“I always suspected I might need proof one day.”

She placed it in my hands.

I stared at the box.

Then I opened it.

An hour later, I drove Eleanor back to my house.

Then I called all three of my children.

They gathered in the living room, still puffy-eyed from the weeks of mourning.

I helped Eleanor into a chair.

Then I looked at my children.

“Your grandmother has something to tell you.”

My daughter frowned.

“Mom, you took my advice?”

“Not exactly,” I said quietly.

Eleanor lifted her chin.

“Forty years ago, I offered your mother a chance to build something of her own.”

She looked at all three of them.

“Richard threw it away and lied to both of us.”

My son immediately stood.

“That’s a horrible thing to say about a man who can’t defend himself.”

“He controlled everything,” I said.

“The driving. The isolation. All of it.”

My daughter shook her head.

“Dad was a little overprotective, but he wasn’t a liar.”

“Then explain this,” Eleanor said.

She reached into the file box and pulled out a folded, yellowed piece of paper.

Her hands trembled as she held it out.

“This is the reply he sent to the gallery.”

My daughter took the paper.

“He filled it out himself,” Eleanor continued. “He declined the offer on your mother’s behalf and claimed she wasn’t interested. The gallery owner gave me this copy.”

My daughter’s eyes moved across the page.

Then she stopped breathing for a moment.

“This…”

Her voice trembled.

“This is Dad’s handwriting.”

The room went completely silent.

My son leaned over her shoulder and read the document.

His expression changed.

“He signed her name,” he said.

He looked at me.

“He answered for her.”

“He answered for me for forty years,” I whispered.

My daughter looked up.

Tears were already running down her face.

“Mom, I’m so sorry.”

She shook her head.

“We didn’t know. We fought you on this.”

Her voice broke.

“And you were telling the truth the whole time.”

I reached for Eleanor’s hand.

She reached back.

Two women who had spent nearly four decades believing they hated each other were finally sitting together, holding hands because they had discovered the truth.

“I don’t need apologies,” I said softly.

“I just needed all of you to finally see.”

We sat together in silence.

The polished image of Richard that my children had carried for years had been shattered.

Not by gossip.

Not by bitterness.

But by his own words, his own handwriting, and the evidence of what he had done.

I looked toward the truck keys hanging near the door.

For most of my life, those keys had represented something I wasn’t allowed to touch.

Now they represented something completely different.

Freedom.

At 62, I had finally learned how to drive.

But the greatest journey of my life had not been the road test.

It was discovering that I had spent forty years believing I needed permission to go anywhere.

I didn’t.

For the first time in my life, I was completely free to decide where I would go next.
 

Attachments

  • I Finally Got My Driver’s License at 62, Right After My Husband’s Funeral.png
    I Finally Got My Driver’s License at 62, Right After My Husband’s Funeral.png
    644.9 KB · Views: 34
Top