My SIL’s Kids Smashed My New Car With a Bat – Then I Overheard Her Admit She’d Put Them up to It, So I Made Sure She Regretted It

Forddaily

Well-known member
Staff member
administrator
Registered
Local time
Today, 23:20
Joined
Aug 15, 2019
Reaction score
422
Location
US
Feedback score
0
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Ford F250 Mustang
My SIL’s Kids Smashed My New Car With a Bat – Then I Overheard Her Admit She’d Put Them up to ...jpg



My sister-in-law’s sons had just destroyed the brand-new car my husband and I had spent three years saving for.

She laughed it off.

“They’re just kids!”

At first, I thought she was simply being careless. Maybe she genuinely believed the boys had gotten carried away while playing baseball.

Then I overheard her.

She was praising them for doing exactly what she had told them to do. She was even promising them new toys as a reward.

That was the moment everything changed.

I didn’t scream.

I didn’t throw anything.

Instead, I decided that if Megan wanted to teach her children that destroying someone else’s property had no consequences, then I would teach them something very different.

And the box I sent her a few days later was something she would remember for a very long time.

The first sound was glass breaking.

The second was my husband Martin yelling, “What the hell?”

I ran toward the driveway.

By the time I reached it, Bruno was standing beside our brand-new crossover, a baseball bat hanging loosely from both hands.

Nick stood several feet away.

Neither boy was crying.

Neither looked injured.

But my car looked as though someone had deliberately attacked it.

The passenger-side mirror was hanging by a strip of black wiring. A white spiderweb of cracks stretched across the windshield. The driver’s door had a deep dent in it, surrounded by three separate impact marks.

I stopped at the edge of the driveway, completely frozen.

Behind me, chairs scraped against the patio as the rest of the family came running to see what had happened.

Martin reached the car first.

“Oh my God.”

He touched the cracked windshield, then immediately pulled his hand away, almost as if touching it somehow made the damage more real.

I couldn’t speak.

That car was nine days old.

Nine.

Nine days earlier, I had been running my fingers over that same dashboard, smiling because for the first time in years, Martin and I had something we had worked incredibly hard to afford.

Now I was standing there staring at broken glass.

Then Megan appeared behind her sons.

She was holding a glass of lemonade.

She looked at the windshield.

Then she looked at me.

And she laughed.

“Well,” she said casually, “I guess baseball practice got a little out of hand!”

I finally found my voice.

“Meg, look at my car.”

“I am.”

“Bruno has the bat.”

Bruno immediately lowered it.

Nick stared down at his sneakers.

Megan took another sip of lemonade.

“Meg,” I said again, more firmly this time. “Look at my car.”

“They’re just kids, Priscilla.”

Martin turned around.

“Meg, they smashed the windshield.”

“So?”

I stared at her.

“So you’re paying for it.”

Her eyebrows shot upward.

Then she laughed again.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“Megan.”

“They’re just kids, Priscilla.”

“No.”

She pointed toward the boys as though their ages somehow settled the matter.

“They’re five and seven. Kids break things. How is that my problem?”

Something inside me went frighteningly quiet.

But at that moment, I still didn’t know the worst part.

Not yet.

Because three years earlier, that car had been nothing more than a dream.

Martin and I had been driving a twelve-year-old sedan that seemed determined to fall apart one piece at a time.

First, the air conditioner quit.

Then the driver’s window stopped opening.

Then the heater developed a personality.

Some mornings it worked.

Other mornings Martin drove with gloves on while muttering threats at the dashboard.

We could have replaced the car sooner.

We didn’t.

My mother’s cancer treatment had left bills behind long after her final appointment. Martin never complained about helping me cover them.

So we made a decision together.

No car payment.

No impulse upgrade.

No spending money simply because we wanted something newer.

We would save until buying a reliable car didn’t frighten us.

And for three years, that’s exactly what we did.

When our friends rented a beach house during the summer, we stayed home.

When Martin received a bonus, most of it went directly into our car fund.

When I wanted to replace our sagging living-room couch, I put another blanket over it instead.

Every sacrifice had a reason.

Every bit of money we didn’t spend brought us closer.

Eventually, after three years of saving, we finally walked into a dealership.

And we bought a brand-new crossover.

I still remember the drive home.

Martin glanced over and caught me running my fingers across the dashboard.

“You know it’s a car, right?”

“I know.”

“You’re petting it, Prissy.”

“I’m appreciating it.”

He grinned.

“Should I leave you two alone?”

I slapped his arm.

That car meant more to me than its price tag.

It represented three years of patience, restraint and putting off things we wanted because we had something we needed.

And now, just nine days after bringing it home, I was staring at a broken mirror and a shattered windshield.

Meanwhile, Megan was telling me it wasn’t her problem.

The frustrating thing was that her attitude wasn’t new.

Megan had been treating my time like family property for years.

She would show up on Saturdays with Bruno and Nick already climbing out of her SUV.

“Meg, we’re going out,” I’d sometimes blurt out before she could spring another babysitting request on us.

“You don’t have kids!” she’d say with a shrug. “What could you possibly be doing that’s that urgent?”

Sometimes she didn’t even ask.

She would simply text:

Outside. Need you to watch the boys for two hours.

Two hours usually meant five.

The first few times, Martin asked me to overlook it.

“That’s just my sister.”

But eventually, I started answering differently.

“No.”

Megan hated that word.

Once, after I refused to cancel dinner plans because she wanted to get her nails done, she looked me straight in the face and said, “You know, for someone without children, you’re weirdly selfish with your free time.”
123123123.png
 
Top