My Kids Saw a Family Throw Things at a Teen Working at a Drive-Through – Then the Father Shouted Something I Couldn't Forget

Forddaily

Well-known member
Staff member
administrator
Registered
Local time
Today, 22:29
Joined
Aug 15, 2019
Reaction score
422
Location
US
Feedback score
0
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Ford F250 Mustang
Capture.JPG



A family watched in disbelief as an angry customer humiliated a teenage drive-through worker, throwing his drink at the service window and mocking him in front of his own children.

But what the man didn't know was that another father had witnessed everything.

As the angry customer drove away, my husband quietly memorized his license plate.

At the time, I had no idea what he intended to do with it.

We live only about four minutes from a drive-through, so on movie nights, picking up the kids and stopping there on the way home has become something of a family tradition.

It's nothing special. We go often enough that we recognize the employees.

You start to learn who works evenings, who works weekends, and which faces you'll probably see when you pull up to the window.

There was one young employee we saw especially often.

He looked about 17 or 18. He wasn't rude, careless, or lazy. If anything, he seemed to take his job very seriously.

He was simply slow at the window.

And he stuttered a little when he repeated customers' orders.

My husband had taught our children one lesson from the time they were old enough to understand it: Be decent to the people serving you.

You never know what someone is dealing with.

And regardless of what else is happening in their life, they're standing there working.

My husband was so determined to reinforce that lesson that sometimes he'd order a coffee he didn't even want simply so he could leave the young man a tip.

Then came Saturday night.

We pulled into the drive-through and saw one car ahead of us.

Almost immediately, we heard shouting.

It wasn't directed at us.

It was coming from the car at the service window.

A man's voice carried through the night, angry and impatient, while children could be heard laughing from the back seat.

The man was complaining about how long everything was taking.

He kept going on about how long he'd been waiting, how difficult it was, and how ridiculous the delay had become.

For a while, the young employee didn't respond.

Then we heard him speak.

His stutter was noticeably worse than usual.

"Could you please not speak to me like that?"

The man's response was worse than anything I'd expected.

He took his bag.

Then he threw his coffee directly at the window.

I watched in disbelief.

But he wasn't finished.

He turned toward his children and said, loud enough for everyone around to hear:

"See that? That's what happens when you don't study. Don't you ever grow up to be nothing like him. You be like your dad."

Then he drove away.

I sat there with my mouth open.

Our two children had heard every word.

We slowly pulled forward.

Coffee was dripping down the inside of the window frame.

The teenage employee was wiping it up with a cloth.

And somehow, unbelievably, he was apologizing to us.

"I'm sorry for the wait."

I felt something tighten in my chest.

"Sweetheart," I said, "we're so sorry. Nobody deserves to be treated like that. Please don't take anything that man said seriously."

He smiled.

It was the kind of smile you make when you're trying desperately not to let your face reveal how much something hurt.

He handed us our bag.

"Have a good night."

We drove home, but I couldn't let it go.

The entire way, I kept repeating the same thing.

"He's a child. Who says something like that to a child? And in front of his own kids?"

My husband didn't answer.

I looked at him.

"So that's it? We just let it go?"

He finally glanced at me.

"Of course not."

Then he added, almost casually:

"After all these years, you still don't know me?"

I frowned.

"What does that mean?"

"I've got his plate."

I turned toward him.

"When did you get his plate?"

"When he was shouting."

He put his blinker on and changed lanes.

Then he said something I'll never forget.

"He needs teaching how to behave in public."

I asked him what he was planning to do.

"Nothing tonight," he said. "Tomorrow, we come back. I promise you he'll learn it, and that boy gets what he's owed."

Sunday evening, we drove back to the restaurant.

But instead of entering the drive-through, my husband parked near the side entrance.

Our oldest leaned forward between the seats.

"Aren't we getting food?"

"Maybe later," my husband said.

I looked at him.

"What are we doing?"

"Talking to the manager."

"That's your big plan?"

"It's step one."

I followed him inside, with the kids trailing behind us.

The teenage employee wasn't working that evening.

After my husband asked for the manager, a woman in her 40s came out from behind the counter.

He calmly explained what had happened.

She listened without interrupting.

Then my husband gave her the license plate number, the approximate time of the incident, and a description of the vehicle.

Her expression changed.

"Was this about Eli?"

"That's his name?" I asked.

She nodded.

"He told me somebody got angry at the window."

"Angry?" I repeated.

"The man threw a coffee cup at him and told his children that Eli was what happens when you don't study."

The manager's face tightened.

"He didn't tell me that."

"He barely told you anything?"

"He said it was handled."

My husband looked at her.

"Do you have cameras?"

She nodded slowly.

"Yes. The drive-through lane and service window are covered."

"Can you keep the footage?"

"I can make sure it's reviewed and preserved."

Our younger child tugged at my sleeve.

"Is that man going to get in trouble?"

My husband looked down at him.

"I don't know. But pretending something didn't happen isn't the same as handling it."

The manager gave him a small smile.

Then she turned toward me.

"Eli tends to downplay things."

"Why?"

She hesitated.

"He worries about being seen as a problem."

That bothered me.

"What does that mean?"

"He's slow at the window, especially when he's nervous. He knows customers complain sometimes."

"So he thought this could somehow get him fired?"

"I don't think he knows what to expect."

I thought about the previous night.

Coffee had been dripping down the window beside him, and somehow he'd still been the one apologizing to us.

That made me even angrier.

The manager promised she'd speak with the store owner and properly document what had happened.

I thought that was the end of my husband's plan.

It wasn't.

As we walked back toward the car, I asked him:

"So now what?"

He unlocked the door.

"We come back Tuesday."

"Why Tuesday?"

"That's when Eli works."

I stared at him.

"How do you know that?"

"I asked."

I laughed.

"You've been busy."

He shrugged.

"I said the boy gets what he's owed."

"A complaint filed against a customer isn't enough?"

"A complaint is what the other man gets."

He opened my door.

"Eli gets something different."

Tuesday evening, we went back.

This time, the drive-through was quiet.

Eli was standing behind the counter, filling drink cups when he saw us.

For a moment, he looked nervous.

Then he recognized the children.

"Oh. Hi."

His stutter was much lighter that evening.

I smiled.

"Hi."

His first words surprised me.

"I'm sorry again about Saturday."

My husband frowned.

"Why are you apologizing?"

Eli looked confused.

"For the wait."

"You didn't do anything to us."

Eli lowered his eyes.

The manager walked over and nodded toward him.

"It's okay. They came to talk to you."

That somehow made him even more nervous.

My husband kept his voice gentle.

"We told your manager what we saw."

Eli's eyes widened.

"I really don't want anybody fired because of me."

I stared at him.

"The customer?"

"No. I mean, I don't want anybody getting in trouble."

"Why would you be responsible for his behavior?"

He shrugged.

My husband leaned against the counter.

"Can I ask you something?"

Eli nodded.

"That man said something about you not studying."

Eli's expression changed.

My husband continued.

"Why didn't you correct him?"

Eli looked toward the drink machine.

Then he answered quietly.

"He'd already decided who I was."

That sentence stayed with me.

I asked him what he meant.

"He saw me taking too long. He heard me talk."

Eli touched his throat without even seeming to realize he'd done it.

"He decided I was stupid."

My husband shook his head.

"Are you?"

For the first time, Eli actually smiled.

"I don't think so."

The manager laughed softly.

"He's definitely not."

That's when we learned what the angry father had never bothered to ask.

Eli was 18.

He was finishing his final year of high school.

His grades were excellent.

And only two weeks earlier, he'd been accepted into college.

"For what?" I asked.

"Engineering."

I stared at him.

The irony was almost unbearable.

The man had used Eli as an example of what supposedly happened when someone didn't study.

Meanwhile, Eli spent his afternoons in class and his evenings working at the drive-through, saving money for college.

"Do you work every night?" I asked.

"Most evenings and weekends."

"How do you study?"

"After."

"After closing?"

He nodded.

My husband asked about his stutter.

Eli looked embarrassed.

"I've always had it."

"Does it get worse when people rush you?"

"Yeah."

He gave a small laugh.

"Which is convenient at a drive-through."

I smiled, but my chest hurt.

He wasn't slow because he didn't understand the orders.

He sometimes just needed a few extra seconds to get the words out.

And customers treated those few seconds as if they were a personal insult.

My husband asked him another question.

"Have you figured out how you're paying for college?"

"Mostly."

That single word said a lot.

Eli had some financial aid lined up.

He had applied for outside scholarships.

But the remaining costs were exactly why he was working so many shifts.

Then the manager suddenly spoke.

"Did you ever apply for our education award?"

Eli shook his head.

"What education award?" I asked.

She looked at him.

"I told you about it."

"I didn't think I'd qualify."

"Why?"

He shrugged.

"I haven't been here that long."

"Almost two years."

"I miss shifts sometimes because of school stuff."

"You give notice."

The manager crossed her arms.

"Eli."

"What?"

"You have one of the best attendance records here. Your grades are good, and every supervisor likes you."

He stared at her.

"You should apply."

My husband looked at me.

And suddenly, I understood.

There it was.

The other half of his plan.

It wasn't revenge.

It was a door.

"Can we help?" I asked.

Eli looked horrified.

"You don't have to."

"I know."

My husband smiled.

"That's usually how helping works."

Our oldest immediately added:

"Mom is really good with forms."

I looked at her.

"Thank you for making me sound exciting."

She grinned.

Over the next week, Eli submitted his application.

My husband helped him organize the information.

I proofread his essay.

And our children decorated the folder he used to carry his documents.

Eli repeatedly insisted that nobody decorated college application folders.

Apparently, ours did.

Meanwhile, the restaurant reviewed the security footage from Saturday.

The video clearly showed the coffee cup being thrown.

It also captured enough of the exchange to confirm everything we'd reported.

Because my husband had the license plate, the manager was able to match the vehicle to the order information from that time.

I assumed that would be the last we'd hear about the father.

I was wrong.

A week later, the manager called us.

"That family came back."

"What happened?" I asked.

"The wife called first."

Apparently, one of the children had told his mother what his father had done.

Not because he thought it was funny.

Because it had bothered him.

He repeated the words his father had shouted.

"You be like your dad."

The mother wasn't impressed.

She made her husband return to the restaurant.

The manager asked whether we would be willing to stop by later because she wanted to add a brief witness statement to the incident report.

When we arrived, the father was still there.

The second he saw us, he recognized us.

His face hardened.

Then his wife looked at him.

That seemed to be enough.

He turned toward Eli.

"I was frustrated. I shouldn't have thrown the cup."

Eli waited.

The man's wife looked at him.

"That's not the part you need to apologize for."

The father looked irritated.

Then embarrassed.

Finally, he said:

"I shouldn't have said what I said either."

Eli nodded.

The man continued.

"I was trying to teach my kids something about working hard."

My husband crossed his arms.

But before he could respond, Eli spoke.

"I do work hard."

The father looked at him.

Eli swallowed.

I heard his stutter begin to return.

But he kept going.

"I'm graduating this year."

The manager added:

"He's already been accepted to college."

The father glanced at her.

"For what?"

"Engineering," Eli said.

The man's expression changed completely.

For half a second, I enjoyed seeing the realization on his face.

Then Eli said something far more powerful than anything I could have said.

"But even if I wasn't going to college, you still shouldn't have treated me like that."

The room went completely quiet.

My husband nodded.

"That's the lesson your kids should've heard."

The father looked down.

His wife didn't rescue him.

One of their children stood near the door.

It was the same boy we'd heard laughing from the back seat that night.

He looked miserable.

Before they left, he stepped closer to Eli.

"I'm sorry I laughed."

Eli looked at him.

Then he said:

"Just don't do it next time."

The boy nodded.

And that was it.

There was no dramatic speech.

No public humiliation.

No revenge.

The family simply left.

A few weeks passed.

Then came another movie night.

We pulled into the drive-through and immediately saw Eli at the window.

This time, before he'd even handed us our drinks, he was smiling.

My husband noticed.

"What?"

Eli held up an envelope.

"I got it."

"What?"

"The education award."

I actually yelled.

Our children started cheering from the back seat.

Eli laughed so hard that he struggled to get the words out.

But this time, nobody rushed him.

My husband pointed at him.

"You earned that."

Eli shook his head.

"You guys made me apply."

"We made you fill out a form."

"You earned the rest."

Eli looked down at the envelope in his hands.

Then he said something that made my heart sink.

"I almost quit after that night."

My smile disappeared.

"What?"

"Saturday."

He shrugged.

"I went home thinking maybe I really was too slow for this."

My husband looked directly at him.

"One cruel person doesn't get to decide what you're capable of."

Eli nodded.

Then another car pulled into the lane behind us.

He straightened.

"I should get back to work."

We took our food.

And, of course, my husband left him a tip.

He absolutely didn't need to.

But my husband had been leaving that boy tips long before any of this happened.

On the drive home, our youngest was unusually quiet.

After a while, he finally spoke.

"Dad?"

"Yeah?"

"That man told his kids to be like him."

My husband glanced at him through the rearview mirror.

"I remember."

Our son looked out the window.

"I don't think they will."

My husband smiled.

And neither did I.

321321321.png
 
Top