I Lied to a Young Mother About Her Car

Forddaily

Well-known member
Staff member
administrator
Registered
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:38
Joined
Aug 15, 2019
Reaction score
422
Location
US
Feedback score
0
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Ford F250 Mustang
She hugged me tightly.

For a moment, neither of us said anything.

There are some moments in life when words simply aren't enough.

She had walked into my shop two weeks earlier terrified that her car would die, that she would lose her new job and that she wouldn't be able to take care of her baby.

Now she was standing in front of me with tears in her eyes, holding an invoice that said she owed me absolutely nothing.

I watched her walk outside.

She opened the driver's door of her old Chevy.

Then she looked back at me.

She smiled.

Her baby was safely inside.

The engine started.

Smooth.

Quiet.

Reliable.

Exactly the way it should have been.

She slowly pulled out of the parking lot.

Before turning onto the road, she rolled down the window and waved.

I waved back.

Then she disappeared down the street.

And I just stood there.

For a long time.

I kept thinking about what had happened.

About how close she had been to losing everything over something as simple as a broken car.

About how easily one unexpected repair bill can destroy a person's plans.

About how many people are walking around every day pretending they're okay when they're actually one bill, one missed paycheck or one bad day away from falling apart.

And I thought about myself.

I remembered being young.

I remembered being broke.

I remembered what it felt like to need help and not know who to ask.

I remembered the fear of losing a job because you couldn't afford to make one more mistake.

And suddenly, I realized something.

Maybe that $20 hose wasn't really worth $20.

Maybe it was worth a lot more.

Because it gave someone time.

It gave her transportation.

It gave her a chance to show up for work.

It gave her a little breathing room.

And most importantly, it reminded her that not everyone in the world is waiting to take something from you.

Sometimes, someone is willing to give.

People often say:

“You can’t help everyone.”

And they're right.

I can't fix every car.

I can't solve every family's problems.

I can't save everyone who walks through my shop.

But I can help someone.

And sometimes, that someone is exactly the person who needed it that day.

So yes.

I lied that morning.

I lied about the part being on backorder.

I lied about the warranty recall.

But those lies didn't take anything from her.

They gave her something.

I lied so a young mother could get to her new job.

I lied so a baby could get safely to daycare.

I lied so a woman who was already carrying more than most people could see didn't have one more burden placed on her shoulders.

And if I had to do it all over again?

I'd lie every single time.

Because sometimes kindness doesn't look like a grand gesture.

Sometimes it looks like a mechanic handing a stranger the keys to his own truck.

Sometimes it looks like a $20 part.

Sometimes it looks like an invoice with a zero at the bottom.

And sometimes, kindness is simply being the person who says:

“I've got you.”

We spend so much of our lives worrying about what we're going to leave behind.

Money.

Cars.

Buildings.

Businesses.

Things.

But the truth is, most of those things eventually disappear.

The kindness we give away is different.

That stays.

Maybe not in our bank account.

Maybe not in our garage.

But it stays in someone's memory.

It stays in the heart of a mother who was given one more chance.

It stays in the life of a child whose mother was able to keep her job.

And maybe, someday, that young mother will see someone else having the worst day of their life.

Maybe she'll remember what happened at my shop.

And maybe she'll help them too.

That's how kindness works.

It moves from one person to another.

So if you ever get the chance to be the break in someone's terrible day…

Be it.

If you can be the “yes” in someone's world full of “no”…

Be it.

And if you can give someone a reason to believe that good people still exist…

Do it.

Because sometimes, one small act of kindness doesn't just change someone's day.

It can change the way they see the world.

💛 MORAL:

Be the break in someone's bad day.
Be the yes in their world full of no.
Be the reason they still believe good people exist.

#SpiritualGrowth #Kindness #GoodPeople #LifeLessons #Faith
 
Top